Monday, June 23, 2008

Wasatch Back Relay

We made it and it's over!!! Our team of 12 ran 180 miles from Logan to Park City in 26 hours, 52 mins. We placed 124th overall (out of 545 teams) and placed 23rd out of 81 in the mens division. Because we had 7 men and 5 women we couldn't be in the co-ed division (had to have 6 & 6). But had we been in the co-ed division we would have placed 28th out of 210! Wow! Pretty impressive for a team with only 1 person who had done it before!

It was an "incredible" experience (our team name was "the incredibles"). Jared and I were on a team put together by my cousin Melissa and what a fun team we had. Despite not sleeping for 48 hours, running 3 legs of a race in 24 hours in blistering hot weather (and really cold weather during the night!) and not knowing half of our team before we started it was soooo fun! (I can say that now that it's been a couple days :) )

Jared was runner 10 and had 3.5, 6.5, and 4 mile runs. His last run was the hardest of the entire relay, the "ragnar" and he was awesome! He ran the entire thing and passed 26 other runners, and was only passed by 1! Wow! I was so proud of him.

I was runner 12 and I started with a 3.2 UPHILL (all of it, though about half as steep as Jared's was!) up to Snow Basin, then had a really great 5.2 mile run along this beautiful reservoir at 5:30 am, and finished off the race with a 5 mile run to the finish line in Park City. I'll admit, my last run was really hard...it was mostly all downhill, but by that point I was spent. Plus I started out to fast, it was 80+ degrees and I had very little water. Not good combinations. I still managed to pull out 9 min. miles, so I was pretty pleased.

Enjoy the pics in the next post. If you place your cursor over the pic it will give you a caption of what was going on.

7 comments:

AnnalisaG said...

Awesome! You are one tough Mama.

Kyla Armstrong said...

That is so awesome!

Coombs Family said...

Congrats! Team races are so fun. A few years ago I ran Hood to Coast with my sister and we had a blast. You're making me want to do it again!

Ashby said...

Wow, that's awesome Jamie! I've never heard of that race, but it sounds really neat!

missliss5/Melissa said...

Holy smokes! Congratulations! That sounds intense, what a huge accomplishment.

Cothran Family said...

You guys rock! I had so much fun with you 2 goof balls! What did 12p and 23 b mean again? I hope you had fun at Powell. We need to hang out soon.

marissa said...

Way to go Jamie D and Jared! The only thing I can do when it is 80+ degrees is sit in front of a fan!