After waking up way too early (around 5:30 am) we went to the gym at the hotel (Jared was good and worked out almost every day...this was my only day!). After breakfast we were taken on a "walk-about" tour around what is known as the Rocks area in Sydney. To be perfectly honest, the tour itself was pretty lame, but we did see some cool stuff and kind of orient ourselves around the surrounding area.
Cadman's Cottage - One of the very first buildings built in Sydney...most of it is still the original building
George St. - the first street in Sydney
After our tour we got some lunch and then went on a long walk, trying to find someplace Jared could buy some contact solution (he forgot his) but not spend a fortune on it!

After hours of walking we were pretty exhausted so we decided to lounge around by the hotel pool with our books for a little bit before it was time to get ready for that evening. It was sooo nice to just sit back and relax and not worry or think about anything!
That evening we met up with 6 others and headed to Fish on the Rocks restaurant. We had been told that it was excellent, but even better that they had an early bird special and a deal that was 2/$48...BTW, Sydney is ridiculously expensive, so for a nice meal, that was a great price! And this was going to be our "nice" night out :) After getting to the restaurant, we found out that the $48 was per person! The food was excellent and we got a drink, appetizer, and main dish...but still! Our bill came to $100!!! I'm pretty sure we've never spent that much on a dinner in the states! And I have to say that even though Jared wasn't thrilled about this, I was very "proud" of him for just sucking it up and enjoying his meal and the evening :) If you know Jared at all, you KNOW this wasn't easy for him to do!
Jared got a prawn salad and a salmon dish as his entree
Most of the appetizers were seafood-type dishes, and a lot included raw fish (which I wouldn't have ordered even if I wasn't pregnant!) so I ended up with pumpkin ravioli that was actually really good. It also came with some shrimp. I took a bite of one, and then gave the rest to Jared and our friend! I got fish and chips for my main dish and it was seriously the BEST I have ever had...the fries too!
After we finished dinner we took a taxi to the Capital Theatre in Sydney and I finally got to see...
WICKED!
When we first arrived in Sydney I saw signs and advertisements for it on cabs, etc...and my first thought was that I soooo wanted to see it! So when our friends were going and Jared asked if I wanted to as well I totally said yes without a second thought!
We went with Jason and Colleen Gubler who we met last year on the trip to Portugal. They live in Hurricane, UT and we have a great time with them. So we planned to go on the Australia trip at the same time! 
Let me just finish by saying the show did NOT disappoint at ALL! I LOVED every second of it! The actors were mostly Australian, but didn't have Australian accents in the show (thankfully!). Not that we knew any different, but apparently the guy who played the Wizard of Oz was some big actor because the crowd went crazy and gave him a huge round of applause. The girl who played Glinda was not very impressive in the vocal dept, but was still entertaining. She wasn't bad, but when she would sing the high notes it got a little Opera-ish sounding. The girl who played Elphaba (The Wicked Witch of the West) was absolutely AMAZING!!! We found out after the show that she is currently playing that role on Broadway in NYC and just took a little leave from NYC to play the role in Sydney for just 2 weeks! We were so lucky to see her and it was incredible!
2 comments:
What a cool night---I hope I get to see Wicked sometime, too. I've sure heard great things about it. Glad you found some seafood alternatives. :)
Oh, I so want to see Wicked! I am so glad you got to go and enjoy it!
Post a Comment