Did you catch the sarcasm? If not, let me be more blunt - today totally SUCKED.
Good news - the kids both woke up happy and in good moods. That was about it.
Towards the end of last week I noticed a "bubble" on my top gum. It doesn't hurt, but I thought I should have it checked out because I didn't want it to become an issue while in the hospital or with a brand new baby, etc...
So begins my day...
11:00 - I have a dentist appt. to get it checked out. I took both kids with me thinking it's not a big deal, it should be quick, no need to call someone to watch my kids again. The kids were pretty good, but it's always more stressful when you have kids with you.
I find out I have a pretty serious infection that needs to be treated. HOWEVER, b/c of a crown that has a post under it to strengthen the area, the dentist can't just drill through the crown and take care of the problem there. I get a referral to a root canal specialist who will have to cut through the gum to treat the infection. Dentist doesn't know if they will have to do it before I have this baby. Say WHAT?! I'm having this baby in 3 days...do you think I have time to undergo oral surgery???
11:50 we leave the dentist with cookies in hand for the kids. Ooey, gooey, chocolate chip cookies that Gavin makes a mess of and FREAKS out when I finally just take the remaining 3 bites from him.
Good news - we are in the car, not public.
Bad news - My patience begins to wear thin
12:00 - Great Harvest bread to buy some bread and sample some yummy cinnamon pull-apart bread. Gavin freaks out when I pull apart his piece to make it easier for him to eat. I show him Mia's piece is also "broken" and he calms down and finishes his piece. Thankfully up to this point Mia really had been an angel.
12:10 - While still in the Great Harvest parking lot I call the root canal specialist I've been referred to. Got lots of helpful info from the receptionist...including the fact that the doc is out of town this week anyway, so we'll have to hold off. I feel much better about this, but still have a lot of concerns. Nothing to do with this dental procedure - I'm so past that; I've never received good news from the dentist. But the timing just SUCKS. Just after having a baby? I have a consult with him scheduled for April 6th.
Good news - my mom will be in town.
Bad news - I'll have a 12 day old baby.
By the end of this call both kids are screaming in the car.
12:20 - Costco parking lot. Try to make a phone call to Jared to update him on everything. Now the kids are screaming (and laughing about it). About now is when mean mommy makes her second appearance and I yell at the kids to be quiet. Mind you, back windows are open, we are parked next to the cart return and a mom loading up her kid obviously hears me and I see her snicker a little. Awesome. Sign me up for mom of the year. Although I have to say, it wasn't a rude, what kind of mother are you snicker. More of a sympathetic snicker and it kind of made me laugh.
12:30 - I'm thinking it should be pretty smooth shopping trip because I get each kid hot dog (and that usually buys me a lot of time to do my shopping). But before I can even get back with the darn things Gavin is crying and then Mia is crying. Meanwhile people are walking by looking at them and thinking, Who's kids are these? And why are they just left alone and beating on each other?! Mia calms down and is fine, eating away. Gavin on the other hand becomes obsessed with his "broken" hot dog and is crying (loudly) over and over "it's broken, it's broken" and nothing I try helps the boy. BTW, hot dog was totally intact and I have NO IDEA what his problem was. Those are just the highlights of our Costco trip.
1:20 - Back in the car and by now I am so frustrated because I know that I can't finish the rest of my errands with my terrible kids and my terrible attitude. This includes filling the prescription for the antibiotic that I need to get on ASAP to clear out the infection in my gum. Great.
Good news - I do make it to the bank and get my city bill payed on the way home (both are drive-thru...figured I could at least get those done).
Bad news - I cry all the way home. At this point I'm feeling overwhelmed and like the WORST mother EVER and I'm just days, DAYS, away from having another one. HOW can I handle a newborn when I can't even take care of the ones I've got?! But a good cry every now and then is a good thing, so I actually feel a little better by the time I get home.
Good news - I put Gavin down for a nap, Mia upstairs for some quiet time and put myself in a mommy time-out. Get some stuff done and start to feel a little better.
4:00 - Gavin gets up from his nap and I figure this is as good a time as any to get to walmart and get that prescription filled.
4:30 - After changing a poopy diaper and forcing Mia to get out of her pajamas and back into her clothes, we actually make it to walmart.
While at walmart Mia insists on doing everything I ask her NOT to. Most of it not a big deal, but driving me crazy none-the-less. I buy a treat to make myself feel better. It's been a rough day; it's the least I deserve.
Towards the end of the trip Mia has ended up lying on that bottom rack...ya know the one under the cart that just cries out, "injury, injury, injury"? Yeah, that's her favorite place to be while shopping. And what does she like to touch while down there - the wheels.
As we are trying to find a check out lane I run over her finger. Great. I pull her out, give her a hug and do a quick survey of the damage. But to be perfectly honest, I really felt NO sympathy for her. NONE. All I wanted to say was I told you so. Yes, I'm a terrible mother. And did I tell you I'm having another one? As she was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs I knew we couldn't help but be noticed so I tried my hardest to appear to be a loving, kind mother and bandaged up her finger (which was bleeding pretty bad) and picked her up and carried her as we made our way to the checkout. What a sight...9 month pregnant mom, carrying her screaming 4 1/2 year old child, using 1 hand to push her cart with 2 1/2 year old in it.
She continued to cry and yell "It hurts, It HUUUURTS" for at least 10 minutes. All the time we checked out and then all the time while we went back for the prescription. She didn't stop til we got in the car. And remember that chocolate I got to make myself feel better. Want to know what I offered her??? String cheese. Mom of the year, right here people. Sorry if you thought it was you. I'm pretty sure that one just solidifies it for me.
5:30 - Arrived home, where thankfully Jared already was, and as I had much earlier in the day told him I might be in jail by the end of the day and sent him a text about Mia's finger, he stepped in and kept the kids away from me til dinner was ready. Mia was still soooo sad about her finger and nice mommy did make one appearance today and held her on my lap and loved her (sincerely, this time) while we ate. Just before bed I gave her some Tylenol and she immediately said, "mommy, my finger is starting to feel better." She really can be a sweetie...I just have to remind myself of this on some days.
Good news - the kids went down to bed easily - maybe today was just as exhausting for them as it was for me.
Good news - I feel much better now...especially after writing all this out. It was a LOOOONG day, but I survived and tomorrow WILL be better and I'm going to have another baby whether I'm ready or not, so mean mommy needs to go into retirement and nice mommy needs to reappear and take a deep breath and remember what wonderful kids I really do have and how much I love them and what a blessing they are - tantrums and all.
Bad news - no more bad news. Nice mommy is back :)
8 comments:
oh. my. goodness. you win. i'm sorry it was your day to have all the horribleness happen.
don't worry, mean mommy comes out in all of us, we just don't see each other do it.
and you're a great mommy, and going to be a great mother of 3!
as always, call if you need anything...REALLY.
I think you have a good attitude. Sometimes I can't ever seem to find nice mommy no matter how much I try to convince her to come out!! And sad to say mean mommy probably will come out a few more times when the baby comes.
You are a great mom, Jamie! Did I tell you the other day I walked two feet away from my cart, and William pulled the cart over and it crashed to the floor with Eli in it? And William was under it and ended up spitting blood everywhere. I had to leave my shopping cart with everything in it and leave the store immediately. I felt exactly the same way. People were staring at me and two kids were screaming (one with blood all over his face) while I was dragging the third out the door. Haha. Hopefully you'll be able to laugh about it later. Poor Gavin and his broken hot dog :). I hope Mia's finger is better today and you get some Mom time. I'm thinking about you!!
You're not alone my dear, we all have days like this! I can't believe you made dinner for your family after a day like that. (I have to agree that I'm nervous for baby #3 too. I have 3 more months though. Good luck to you!)
You're a great mom, Jamie!
You are a good mom and have no reason to feel guillty. You looked good when I ran into you at Great Harvest, but I guess the worst was yet to come! Hang in there. You will do just great with 3 :)
I remember being completely overwhelmed right before Nadia came, and then she came and most of my craziness went away! I would always think "I am so tried and I cannot manage two, how can I do three?" But most of it was because I was pregnant and I was tired and wore out! You are awesome and I can't wait for her to come
I agree with the making dinner comment! Those are Mac & Cheese days at my house (made by daddy!) You are a good, patient woman! Really, you are. Keep us updated on #3 coming.
Ha! I'm laughing because I kept thinking: "is she describing me?" Especially the parts about other people looking at you and the fake sympathy! Some days I'm just glad I can fake it for the onlookers! It is nice to look back later (after they are in bed :) and remember what sweet children they are and how much you love them - and how hopefully there will never be another day like that!
Post a Comment