Sunday, July 27, 2008

Spudman Triathlon

Jared did the Spudman triathlon this past Saturday, July 26th. The following are the highlights as he dictated them to me: (ok, well I edited just a little!)

*Drove up with BYU friend Courtney Johnson with no A/C and an outside temp of almost 100!


*Ran into Derrin and Nicole at the spaghetti dinner.
*Spent the night at Scott Mumford (kids pediatrician) in-laws house. They open up their house every year to friends and family who are participating in the race.
*Got up at 5 am, and set up transitions (I didn't sleep well b/c of grandfather clock chiming every 15 mins. and another occupant snored really loud) and then changed into wet suit.

*Started the race at 7:10 am with a 1 mile swim.
*River was moving just as fast as everyone says and I completed the swim in 16 mins, 54 secs.
*Started 25 mile bike section and quickly got caught up in a pellaton (for those non-biker/racing types that's a large group of riders all together...and I probably spelled it completely wrong!)
*I managed to break away in the last 2 miles and finished the bike in approx. 1 hour, 1 min.
*Started the 6.2 mile run and had to stop to stretch my calf soon - pulled it on Monday and have been trying to let it heal. But I ran through the pain and finished the run in approx. 45 mins.
*I finished 12th in my age group and 132nd overall (out 2092) with an overall time of 2 hours, 9 mins!!!!

WAY TO GO JARED!!!
I'm so proud of you. For only your 2nd triathlon, you did awesome!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Congrats Jared! You are crazy!