Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 4 - Koala Park

Friday, Novemeber 27th was another really hot day! I think the high was around 95! I had been told before we left that Sydney was really humid and I thought that with the high temps and humidity it would be miserable...but we never seemed to mind! Sure, my hair was never looking great, but other than that we really enjoyed the weather :)

We spent most of the early morning getting our souvenir shopping taken care of. The kids were easy enough because it didn't matter what we brought back, it would be forgotten in a few days. See, there are some benefits of having toddlers :) Jared and I aren't big into going crazy on souvenirs and neither of us "collects" anything, but we decided we'd like to get a painting from all the different places we travel. I bought a canvas painting when I was in Russia and we got one in Portugal last year. So we spent most of our time trying to find one we like. We finally found some Aboriginal art that is really bright and colorful and I'm really happy with!

After our shopping we called home. It was Thanksgiving in the states and our kids were with Grandma & Grandpa Hastings up with their Aunt Jodi, Uncle Dennis and their cousins. Of course they were having such a fun time so their interest in talking to us was minimal...Gavin said, "Hi mom" and "Hi dad" and Mia talked to us for maybe 1 minute before she wanted to go back to playing! We knew they would be just fine with Grandma & Grandpa while we were gone and it was really nice to not worry about them at all!

After lunch Auto-Owners took us to a koala park. It was basically a zoo with native Australian animals. They had dingoes, wombats, echidnas, some of the smallest penguins in the world, emus and of course koalas and kangaroos. One of the first places they took us was to see the koalas. We couldn't hold them, but we were all able to pet them. They were so cute and soft!
Then we got to pet and feed the kangaroos. We fed them what was basically honey nut cheerios and they are apparently used to lots of people around! It was really cool and I took so many pictures of this, so enjoy!
These suckers have got some claws!

If you look closely, you can see the kangaroo sticking it's tongue out :)

No comments: