Friday, October 8, 2010

Last Night

12:30 am - I go to bed.

1:30 - Look at my clock.  Why am I still up???  This is sooo annoying!

2:00 - Gavin comes into my room crying.  I'm scared, Mommy.  I take him back to his bed, tuck him in and reassure him there is nothing to be afraid of.

2:05 - I hear "it".  That awful, distant, gagging sound that can only mean your child is throwing up.  I hit Jared and we both run to find Gavin in his doorway (my first thought, well, at least he made it out of bed and I don't have to change/wash all his bedding in the middle of the night.)

2:20 - Gavin is cleaned and back in bed.

2:30 - Carpet is cleaned.  Didn't I just do this last week???  Oh yeah, I did.  But last week it was Mia and she didn't make it out of bed!

2:35 - I grab my pillow and get into Gavin's bed.  His twin bed.  Even with being at the opposite end, it's crowded.  But any seasoned* mother knows that a kid never just throws up ONCE.  Especially in the middle of the night.  And until they get to the point where they are dry heaving, there WILL be MORE.  And I was bound and determined to NOT change any sheets last night.

3:00 - Gavin throws up.  And since I am right there we have no mess to clean up, other than a Tupperware bowl to empty and clean out.

3:10 - Throws up again.  This time we are practically dry heaving so I see an end to this misery.

3:15-3:45 - Gavin sits up, and says I have yuckys.  Each time I jump up, grab the bowl, and force Gavin's head into bowl (he's not a fan of this).  After 1 minute of sitting there with his head over the bowl he says, no yuckys.  Repeat every 3 minutes.

4:00 - Tessa starts crying screaming.  2 weeks ago we had to re-teach her how to sleep through the night and we had 4 nights in a row of interrupted sleep.  But she got there and has been doing well, so I was determined to just let her cry it out.  I didn't lose 4 nights of sleep for nothing! 

But she was loud.  REALLY loud.  My mommy brain started going into over-drive and since she likes to turn into the side of the crib I thought that maybe her arm was in some weird, uncomfortable position and that was making her upset???

4:30 - I give in.  She's pushed herself up to the top of the crib and apparently doesn't like being there.  She also has a nasty diaper to change.  So much for just giving her a binky and walking out.  BUT...I did NOT feed her.  After a clean diaper, binky, and a few minutes of crying she went back to sleep (that's the only positive from last night!)

5:00 - I finally fall asleep.

7:00 - Mia and Gavin are awake.  They must have both been fascinated by seeing me in their bedroom, because they would NOT leave me alone.  Over and over again I tried to send them into MY bedroom to bother Jared.  They must have eventually left because Jared woke me up at 8:00 when he was leaving for work.

It's going to be a fantastic day.

Oh, and did I mention that Jared leaves for Moab today at noon and won't be back until late Sunday night?! 
Awesome.
Unfortunately it's not something he can get out of.


*In absolutely no way, shape or form do I consider myself a "seasoned" mother.  But every once in awhile a mom can have a moment, right?!

2 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

OHHHH for heavens sake, Jamie, that's when you want to lock the doors, throw snacks on the floor for the kids and lie on your bed and just die. UGHHHHHHH! Feeling for you'!

David and Jana said...

Sorry Jamie. Nights like those are the worst. Good luck this weekend with Jared gone. Let me know if you need anything.